Re: Agencies/markup/etc. (dissing ebonics)

Subject: Re: Agencies/markup/etc. (dissing ebonics)
From: Ted Heatherington <theather -at- ALPHA -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 12:07:00 -0800

Okay, everyone,

I am not an American or of African descent, but I did understand
"dissing" (too much US TV in Canada, I guess) as being insulting talk
or gestures, but I must admit I still don't know what "ebonics" is and
whether or not I recommend it for anything :). Heck, my spell-checker
doesn't even know the word!

Does that mean I am too close to the street to TechWhirl?

Ted Heatherington
Sr. Technical Writer,
Alpha Technologies, Canada

----------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 15:10:33 -0500
From: Twyla Beth Lambert <tlambert -at- AIG -dot- VIALINK -dot- COM>
Subject: Re: Agencies/markup/etc.

<<Are we using ebonics in the tech writers list? >>

Although I don't want to promote the "de-evolution" of our
language, IMO technical communicators should use whatever works
to communicate.

<snip>

Isn't that the point? Communicate effectively by communicating
in the "language" (whether verbal or visual) of the audience?

And yes, I realize that "dissing" is apparently _not_ a common
term with _this_ audience, since some people did not understand
it. But I just don't want to become such a "vocabulary snob"
that I miss the point with my audience. MHO.