Re: indexing jokes?

Subject: Re: indexing jokes?
From: Guy K Haas <ghaas -at- NETSCAPE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 09:19:54 -0700

At 09:10 AM 6/6/97 -0700, Steve Fouts wrote:

>And I think that humorless people, be they undertakers or
>professional surfers, should be viciously lampooned in public.
>It is my considered opinion that there are far too many of
>them in our profession.
>
>When I am asked what a technical writer does I tell people,
>"You know those computer software manuals and help files that
>you never read, and can't understand when you do? I write those."

Amen!! For many years, I maintained/enriched/repaired the
COBOL manuals for a certain large vendor of fault tolerant
systems. COBOL! Dull, right? OK, when I was explaining
one version of the DIVIDE statement, I wrote an example
that started out
IF A IS NOT EQUAL TO B
AND B IS NOT EQUAL TO C
...Well, you can see the rhythm of that... I continued
it into a COBOL limerick. I put the paragraph name
LIMERICK. on it. And I made sure it was in the index,
figuring that a reader would notice the limerick one day
and would later want to find it again and not recall
which of the vast number of COBOL statements contained it.

The next writer who worked on it removed the citation
from the index.

--g

Guy K. Haas Software Exegete ghaas -at- netscape -dot- com
M/S MV-050 415-937-3773
Netscape Communications Corporation
501 Middlefield
Mountain View, CA 94043
My opinions are mine--Netscape's are their own.