Word 7 Display Problem

Subject: Word 7 Display Problem
From: Suzy Davis <aedavis -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 10:13:38 -0700

Hi Tom

re:
>I am seeking assistance with the way a document is displaying in Word 7.

>A colleague and I both loaded a Word 7 document in a read-only format from
>an archive directory on our LAN. The document is displayed differently on our
>two systems. In one paragraph, I have four lines. My colleague has five, with
>the last few characters wrapping to the fifth line. This difference should not be
>happening.

Have you checked out the document template? Make sure you and your colleague are both working from the same template. And, if the document template you are using is not the normal.dot template try viewing the document with the same normal document template as well as the same document template (sometimes the current document template takes information from, or is updated by the normal document template).

That is, either you or your colleague may have made changes to the normal.dot template while working on another document and these changes have then updated how your document is viewed.

For the benefit of users who are new to Word and have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about (and would like to know)...

Word has templates which are stored in the templates directory and when you create a new document it defaults to 'Blank Document' unless you specify another template. The template 'Blank Document' is a template document called 'normal.dot'. (You can find out what template your current document is using by selecting Properties from the File Menu. The templates are stored in the MSOffice Templates directory. Templates are like documents and contain, at the minimum, page layout specifications and styles for you to use. They can become quite complex - and they can be the source of pesky little problems like the one Tom and his colleague are experiencing.

Good luck (and you have my sympathies)

Suzy Davis
aedavis -at- ibm -dot- net