Re: Extranet

Subject: Re: Extranet
From: Phil Atkinson <phila -at- INTUITIVE -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:12:09 +-100

In my experience, technically, there is little difference between an intranet, extranet, or web site. They will almost certainly contain different information (they almost certainly should) but otherwise, the only thing to differentiate between the three is their accessibility.

An intranet is generally only available via a local network, although a site may be accessible through a firewall. An extranet is an intranet that operates outside of a local network but is still restricted to specific users - usually corporate partners or business associates. Your typical web site is free for all, although it may contain restricted areas that are password protected.

Please tell me if I'm wrong but that's how I understand the situation.