Re: Juggle Act

Subject: Re: Juggle Act
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:46:32 -0400

I hesitate to take this list too far into a non-technical direction, but the
number of private responses I've gotten to my own response to this topic
suggest that a significant number of technical sorts are struggling with the
'how to stay a human being issue'. So let me just mention the following
book.

A lot of people in Hollywood (and elsewhere) have done the 12-week program in
Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way" ($13.95). While, as will inevitably
happen, there are already people out there charging hundreds of dollars for
'Artist's Way' seminars and treating Cameron as a guru, the book itself is
very down to earth and very focussed on getting you to look at your *own*
resources. (Cameron herself, I'm told, resists any attempt to 'guru-ize'
her.)

'Artist' here is used very broadly - the important thing it addresses is how
to find out what you REALLY want to do and what internalized obstacles* keep
you from doing it. Which means that an actor may do the program and find out
they'd really rather found a business.

There are people who claim it changed their lives. It didn't mine, but I
found it a useful reminder of a lot of values. Think of it as a psychic
massage.

Jim C.
* I almost wrote 'jobstacles'!

"Our deepest fear is not that we are indequate. Our deepest fear is that we
are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most
frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented
and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?...As we let our own light
shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we
are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates
others."
Nelson Mandela, 1994 Inaugural
Speech