Re: Document Planning

Subject: Re: Document Planning
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:40:43 -0400

I sent this to Matthew, but added a few comments...

Hardcopy or online docs? If online, I say structure
your doc for the audience (assuming different audience
for each of four flavors) and repeat the info accordingly.
(As someone mentioned, import same file into each place
so you only have to maintain one doc.)

If hardcopy and the info to be repeated is voluminous
enough to affect cost of production, then put in one
place and reference it. Generally, I've put common info
in the early sections of the book and the more specialized
info later in the book. Depends on your content and how
inconvenient for the user. User comes first.

In both cases, use various access methods (especially
good TOC and index) to help user find info.

A.

--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer