Re: Document Planning

Subject: Re: Document Planning
From: Bill Kilpatrick <whk3 -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:53:55 -0700

Matthew:

I'd write an introduction that describes the "universal" concepts and
procedures, but I'd also include the information in each flavor's
section--for the following reasons:

*Users may not read the introduction
*Users may only read one flavor
*Even if they've read the introduction and/or one particular flavor, users
may not recall the common procedures or interface elements when reading
about another flavor.

To accomodate users who must read two or more flavors, you might consider
using typographical elements to identify common stuff. You might also
rephrase the common sections to make them less repetitive--and hence, more
"readable"--and to improve their instructional effectiveness. As you know,
describing the same procedure or screen element in several different ways
improves you chances of making a connection with users--no matter what
their learning style.

Bill Kilpatrick