Re: Alternative word for "execute"

Subject: Re: Alternative word for "execute"
From: Sella Rush <SellaR -at- APPTECHSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:25:46 -0700

It seems like there are plenty of places where "run" is a good,
sometimes even preferable, alternative to "execute." For example: "run
the setup program" sounds better--more familiar--than "execute the setup
program"

But completely eliminating "execute" just isn't going to work--as
mentioned--you'll just end up forcing your readers to translate your
words into familiar jargon. Executable (as in an executable file or
.EXE) doesn't have any widely known synonyms.

It sounds like your editor is asking good questions. We had a long
thread on this list last year about "violent" computer terms like
"kill." And personally, I'm grateful every day that my company hasn't
started doing business overseas and I can ignore any topics related to
localization. But in the case of execute, I have to agree with the
punishment use of "execute" is the aberration, not the computer use.