Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML (and thanks)

Subject: Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML (and thanks)
From: Penney Alldredge <penney -at- LCLARK -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:11:55 +0000

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question about their favorite technical writing books. I haven't been able to check any of them out yet, as I just finished with two job fairs and am getting ready for another one tomorrow. Westech was great, and I may even have a couple of leads. Now I just have to get down to Kinko's and start faxing.

I also thought I'd contribute my own Four Commandments of HTML. If more people would obey just one of these, I would enjoy web browsing a heck of a lot more:

1) Thou must not overwork thy gentle users' poor modems or TCI connections with unnecessarily large or extremely high-resolution graphics. Do endeavor to keep thy graphics at 256 colors.

2) Thou must not overuse animation! Thy users will think thee foolish and half-witted.

3) Thou must not place thousands of links upon a singular page. It is unpleasant to listen to one's computer churn for several minutes.

4) Thou must not let thy background graphic compete with the display of thy web page's actual contents.

Penney Alldredge
penney -at- lclark -dot- edu

TECHWR-L (Technical Communication) List Information: To send a message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send commands to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or SIGNOFF TECHWR-L). Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or search and browse the archives at http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html