Spiral bindings

Subject: Spiral bindings
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:17:25 -0500

Jennifer Kraus, discussing a marketing booklet, notes <<the
columns are too narrow to be readable, [and] it seems
unnatural to me to have text that continues over a spiral
binding. I would naturally read the top half of the page
(above the spiral binding) first, then proceed to the
bottom half of the page.>>

If the text is unreadable, I'd concentrate my efforts on
that aspect of the design first, and slip in the spiral
binding issue next. If I understand the text flow, you've
got four long columns, and the text flow in each crosses
the spiral binding rather than wrapping back to the top of
the current page when you hit the binding. I don't like it
either, because it's counterintuitive... in every single
book I've read (and that's a lot of books), text continues
on a single page, and doesn't jump the binding until you
fill up the current page. Magazines occasionally break this
"rule", but at least they provide "jump lines" (e.g.,
continued on page 12) to warn you what's coming. The
technique could work in some layouts, particularly where
graphics lead the reader across the binding, but it's hard
to see how this would work with a spiral binding.

<<Jennifer Jelinek after this Saturday>>

Congrats, but I'll let you pray for your own wedding
weather... unless you want to get really wet. <grin>