Re: STC Certification Survey

Subject: Re: STC Certification Survey
From: Beth Mazur <mazur -at- MAYA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:06:59 -0500

Well, at the risk of causing a major conflagration, I figure that
certification is some folks' answer to the perpetual insecurity that
tech writers feel about their worth in their organization.

This insecurity is linked to the real perception of many that
tech writing is worth less ("why geez, I learned to write when
I was 6...how hard can it be to a tech writer...they're basically
glorified secretaries").

I'm with Nancy McDonald; I think that certification will add a lot
of hassle and contribute little to solving the real problem.

Then again, I happen to have a pet theory that says that one of these
days there will be a great scene (a la the movie Network) where the
user population says "we won't take it any more" and tech comm as
we know it will change to a prestigious field whose members are
responsible for soothing the raging masses :-).

Beth Mazur
mazur -at- maya -dot- com