Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs

Subject: Re: why bytes are Bs and not bs
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 10:40:53 -0400

Ah, bitten by a careless "always"...

But I must point out that there is a further problem with the
terminology you mention, and that is that one must specify
_metric_ ton, since the same unit name is very widely used in
the "English" system (ironically largely abandoned by the
English and is now used almost exclusively by Americans) for
2000 pounds (0.907 metric ton). Then there's the "long ton",
which is 2240 pounds (1.016 metric ton); and there's also the
"register ton" and the "freight ton" which are actually measures
of _volume_ rather than weight or mass. In other words, "ton"
is a terribly ambiguous unit of measurement unless the context
is absolutely clear.

In my post yesterday I *almost* brought up the issue of American
billions being much smaller than British (and European?) billions,
but decided that was a little far afield from the discussion. But
now that the subject is under discussion, I would like to point
out that this can be a major translation/localization issue.
Because the largest number that everybody agrees on the name
of is the million (10^6), we should all try to remember to express
larger numbers as multiples of the million (or else shift over to
scientific notation) to avoid the ambiguity.

As to the question of when one learns the metric system, I can
say that in the 60's those of us who were on a math/science
track through school were exposed to it by about the 7th
grade. I will agree that using it in one class in school is a whole
lot different than using it throughout one's daily life, though.

Fred Ridder (f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com