Re: Experience VS Ability

Subject: Re: Experience VS Ability
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 07:48:49 -0700

I agree with this view.
When we're recruiting for a writer or InfoEngineer position, we'll hire
the person with more solid experience in the tools we use, ALL OTHER
THINGS BEING EQUAL between such a candidate and another. But all other
things are rarely really equal.

Top criteria are ability to understand highly technical material that
comes from our software or hardware engineering staff, and to translate
that material into customer-oriented information. Our customer-oriented
information gets "published" in many media, from online help to
electronic manuals to hardcopy books -- so expertise with the
development tools is at the top of the "secondary" criteria. If someone
is especially strong in the "top top" criteria but doesn't already know
our specific tools, then evidence of ability quickly to LEARN
development tools and master their nuances, certainly counts.

--------
Ernie Tamminga
Director, InfoEngineering
Digital Sound Corporation
Opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of Digital
Sound Corporation