Re: living language (Was verbal abuse of "begging the question" )

Subject: Re: living language (Was verbal abuse of "begging the question" )
From: "Ivie, Guy" <GuyI -at- CORPMAIL -dot- FOLLETT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:35:00 PDT

<snip>

The word dis is much more effective in conveying its intended
meaning.

<snip>

If a shortened version of a word is much more effective, why do so many
people not know what it means? I was out of the country for a number of
years, and thus was not conversant with the current popular culture. I
had to ask several people before I found out what "dis" meant.

Words are only effective at communicating if the listeners/readers know
what they mean. Vernacular (slang) terms tend to exclude parts of the
audience, particularly those who are not native speakers of the language.

My pfennig's worth...

Guy Ivie
GuyI -at- corpmail -dot- follett -dot- com (work)
givie -at- earthlink -dot- net (not work)