Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals

Subject: Re: Updating Hard Copies of Existing Manuals
From: ckime <ckime -at- PEERLOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 11:18:26 -0700

15b, 15c, 15d, etc., Bill DuBay commented:

"I refuse to do updates like that. It is the biggest mess, waste of
time, and customers hate it. Keep a track of who gets what and send them
the whole new manual. Period."

I would like to clarify that our customers specifically request updates
as opposed to entire manual reprints. They put copious, hand-written
notes in their manuals and do not like copying they over into a new
manual set every three months. The cellular equipment that we document
is flexible and customers adapt it to their specific sites, so
hand-written notes are inevitable. We are producing updates for the
convenience of our customers, not to cut corners in labor or costs for
our company.

Kelly, considering that your company's product is customizable, have you
considered providing the documentation electronically so it can be
customized? Sounds like that'd be more useful and fun for customers than
making copius, hand-written notes in each manual set. Just a thought.

Carol Kime
Austin, TX

<snip>

----