Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML

Subject: Re: The Ten Commandments of HTML
From: Phillip Winn <pwinn -at- S7 -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:43:21 -0500

At 02:33 PM 6/12/97 -0500, Laura Bean Warner wrote:
>Maybe good for visibility on the screen, but if I'm looking for dense
>information, I like to print it out. On my laser printer, the black
>background is not printed, so I'm sent looking for my magic pen to make
>the invisible print appear!

Bad browser design forces us to use sedate, boring colors. To make sure
that all users can always see all of what you want them to, there is no
other choice than black text on a plain white background, with no tables or
frames. Anything changed from this basic boring pattern eliminates a
potential viewer/reader/surfer. I keep first-generation Mosaic around to
test web pages, as well as checking each one using a UNIX-based text
browser called Lynx. It is amazing how different either one of these
operates from each other or the "big boys". Even the big boys don't agree,
and none of them can print anything fancy.

Sorry, it is not pretty, but black-on-white is forced on us.

|- Phillip Winn -|- Strategy 7 -|- vox 972.458.2817 -|
|- pwinn -at- s7 -dot- com -|- Dallas, TX -|- fax 972.458.2218 -|