Re: Hard Copy Manuals: Who does layout?

Subject: Re: Hard Copy Manuals: Who does layout?
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 21:17:00 GMT

We're just switching from sending Word files to DTP folks working in
Interleaf to doing the whole thing in Framemaker.

The reasons we're going to Framemaker:
1. Autonumbering (including cross-referencing). Although Interleaf
offers autonumbering, the DTP folks didn't know how to use it.
Therefore, we couldn't use it. We generated all cross-references,
section numbering, and indexes manually. If Quark doesn't offer these
features, or if your DTP folks are like ours, you're inviting some
major headaches.

2. Control over the design. As several people have already mentioned,
most DTP people are more interested in the look than the usability. (I
know an editor who pointed out a mis-used semicolon to a document
designer. The designer said that it looked better than a colon, so she
was leaving it in, even though it was grammatically wrong.) As a
writer, you will probably have a better sense of where graphics and
such should be. For example, I worked with a designer once who shoved
all my graphics to the end of the document (a short one, but
still....). You have a better feel for where things need to be so
they'll be easy to find.

3. Last minute changes and communicating changes. I had to send a
document back three times because I needed the number 0 changed to the
word ZERO. They apparently thought I meant to use the number key
instead of an oh key. I finally had to write a note telling them to
use the word. This change would have taken less than a second to do
myself, but took two weeks to get done through the other department.

I also found that I didn't change things I knew would improve a
document if it was hard to describe the changes. If the people you're
working are good and available to you (ours were in another building),
this might not be a huge problem.

Good luck -

Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.