Re: Interviews and Ethics

Subject: Re: Interviews and Ethics
From: "Renze, Janet L" <Janet -dot- Renze -at- PSS -dot- BOEING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:20:33 -0700

I have been in exactly the situation Candace Banber described--
in a bad place, for a variety of reasons unable to leave,
still needing to hire for the current company, and looking hard on
the side...

Am delighted to now be out of there and in my current, happy,
productive environment. The way I handled the "transition" was to,
as people have recommended, not slam my previous employer
to potential candidates (and in interviews I was on elsewhere) but
be direct about the challenges presented there. Eventually found a
great candidate who accepted my old position. Before leaving I left
copius notes about each project I had worked on, file names and
locations, helpful (but positive) hints on how to "really" get things
done (even small companies have hoops to jump...), and left my
forwarding address and email. I received several calls/messages
those first few weeks, which were very painful for me--I developed
a near ulcer at that job and really needed to detach + I felt a little
bad for my replacement, going into that situation. But the messages
have tapered off, and I suspect he's developed coping mechanisms
and new skills just like I did. And maybe the situation will end up
being different with a new person and new scenarios...

the major bonus for me is being on to greener pastures!
a truly better environment is definiately worth the wait over
"just getting out".

happy friday, all!
janet

Janet L. Renze Technical Writer
janet -dot- l -dot- renze -at- boeing -dot- com
(206) 234-8662