Re: certification redux

Subject: Re: certification redux
From: Peter Brown <pbrown -at- MKS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:01:06 -0400

At some time in the past, Bill wrote:

> While I am against technical writer certification, I do favor
> requiring
> would be technical writers to first obtain a bachelor's degree
> in a
> technical field, then obtain a master's degree in technical
> writing....
>
> Think about it, a technical writer who actually has technical
> credentials.

To misuse the great bard Joe Bob Briggs, "I'm surprised I even have to
explain this."Until I read this, I didn't think anyone could come up
with a more ridiculous idea than certifying technical writers. Arguing
that technical writers should have a bachelor's degree in a technical
field is like arguing that a programmer should have an English degree
because he or she must write the occasional white paper or functional
spec.

It's also an extension of the time-worn squawk from techie programmer
and engineer types about how they are just so dang smart as a species
that they can do pretty much anything they put their minds to, up to and
possibly including brain surgery. If you were looking to hire a
programmer, would you take the guy who has a B.A. in history and then
took one C++ night-class course at a community college? Of course not.

The reason we call ourselves writers is that first we must be able to
write. Second, some skill with graphic layout is usually quite important
(the debate about how many of us preside over layout notwithstanding).
Our ability to hack code or draw a circuit diagram might come in handy
if a hiring manager is looking for someone to tackle more technical
documentation, but it should not be necessary to our so-called
profession.

What makes a company strong but flexible is a broad range of skills,
strengths, and backgrounds in its people.

If I really wanted to turn Bill's logic against him, I'd say: "Why in
the heck is a technical writing masters program admitting some gearhead
with a computer science degree?? Don't they have standards??!"