Contempt in the Workplace

Subject: Contempt in the Workplace
From: Documania <dcma -at- MAIL1 -dot- NAI -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 14:47:24 -0500

Tracy wrote, regarding levity and socializing in the workplace:
"Familiarity only breeds contempt if you're contemptible to begin with."

That may be true. But as a generalization it seems a little harsh to me. It
all depends on who you work with, what you do, and where. There are plenty
of companies where much more chatting and goofing off are done than
working. There are also plenty of companies where fraternizing isn't worth
it. I've worked at both. I do both. So I agree with Tracy's closing remark:
"It all evens out in the end."

I think Buck's original comment referred to the places where the balance
tips toward the unproductive (or counterproductive) end of the scale. Like
me, he moves around a great deal and has seen a broad range of
environments. And it's frightening to see how many places there are where
the underqualified and/or irresponsible do a subpar job and not only get
away with it but get paid for it.

Carolyn Haley
DocuMania
dcma -at- ct1 -dot- nai -dot- net