Re: Certification Issues

Subject: Re: Certification Issues
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:44:57 PDT

Ernie,
You are making the case that technical communicators have no certifiable
skills and that no agency is capable of certifying them. I agree, if you are
talking just about the technologies we write about. But don't we have other
skills that are stable enough to be certified? It is my position that it is
the obligation of the employer to teach us the technologies. What
preparation can give us is both the communication skills and the
technical-learning skills.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: "Tamminga, Ernie" <et -at- dsc -dot- com>, on 6/16/97 1:30 PM:
In general, I disagree with the whole "pro-certification" argument.
I could MAYBE (but not very likely) see a value in certification if and
when the technologies we write about, and the development tools that we
use in creating our publications, stop changing so fast... indeed, when
even the KINDS of media we publish on stop changing so fast.

Until then, I'll be extremely skeptical about whether a "certification"
test that is already old enough to have been written, edited,
committee-approved, set in stone and widely disseminated, will really
tell me anything about whether a candidate has the particular skills I
need for my NEW projects.

--------
Ernie Tamminga
Director, InfoEngineering
Digital Sound Corporation
Opinions expressed are my own, and not necessarily those of Digital
Sound Corporation