Do you need a degree?

Subject: Do you need a degree?
From: "Molis, Debbie" <Debbie_Molis -at- FREDDIEMAC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 17:10:36 -0400

Sorry, I edited myself too much.

I didn't mean to imply that people shouldn't have any degree. I meant that
the degree didn't need to be specific to programming, engineering, or
technical writing. But many programmers that I know do not have a degree,
and they do a greate job.

I agree, if graduate education is right for you, then do it. But if you
don't want to attend graduate school, you shouldn't have to in order to
become a technical communicator.
Sometimes the reality of $20,000 for two more years for no additional
dollars added to the annual salary is hard to swallow.

I also believe you can make just as much of a contribution to the field of
technical communications if you don't attend graduate school, whether for
technical communications or another field, than if you did.

FWIW...My two cents.

Debbie Molis
Technical Writer
dmolis -at- erols -dot- com