Re: Long-distance contracts

Subject: Re: Long-distance contracts
From: Fabien Vais <phantoms -at- ACCENT -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 11:10:44 -0400

I disagree with you when you say that working on long-distance contracts is
equivalent to doings things "barely right". Granted, some projects do not
lend themselves well to not being on-site, but others are perfectly suited.

I have worked (on a contract basis) on some projects where it only made
sense to do most of my work on-site. I wasn't given any specifications, no
screens were available for me to start my work (user documentation), and I
had to start by interviewing SMEs about the product. So, obviously, I was at
my client's site most of the time. I would have insisted in doing so myself,
and I would have refused the job if I hadn't been able to be on-site at
least a good deal of the time.

However, many other projects can easily be VERY PROFESSIONALLY done from a
distance. I am currently working on a large technical translation project
(screens, menus, commands, error messages, forms, Online Help system, User
Guide) with another US city, and I really don't need to be on-site for this.
I suggested to my client, and they immediately agreed with me, that I should
come and see them at the beginning of the project to get to know the people
and to start working using their software, templates and working methods. So
I spent a week on-site in Atlanta to get the project going. Now, I'm back
home to complete the 3-4 month project. Everything is running smoothly. We
are in daily contact through e-mail, fax, and telephone. My client is very
pleased with the way things are going, and I am meeting all expected
deadlines. Never once was I told that it would have been better if I were
on-site for the whole project.

So, although I agree that for certain specific projects, it is better to
work on-site, I totally disagree with John Posada that for projects that
lend themselves to distance contracts, the quality would be "barely right".
If you are a professional, you will provide professional work and
professional service. I never settle for "barely right". And I never get
completely paid until my client is COMPLETELY satisfied, not just after I
send them the last files.

Also, long-distance contracts may not even slow down a project (no
commuting, no chatting at the office, etc.), particularly in the case of a
well-planned project where there are no "cut-throat" deadlines.

Fabien Vais
phantoms -at- accent -dot- net