Re: Certification Redux -Reply

Subject: Re: Certification Redux -Reply
From: Blake Ricks <bricks -at- PMI-SFM -dot- PMIGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 09:49:01 -0700

Is there a skip in the record? Can someone hit the needle
and play the next song?

>>> Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM> 06/17/97
09:38am >>>
Yvonne,
Sure that works, usually. There are still a number of
subjective variables at work. You are still out there slugging it
out by yourself, hoping the interviewer knows something
about technical writing and knows how to evaluate all your
references, portfolio, etc. It works most of the time for some
people. But you would be missing the one thing that can
establish you as a member of a profession, and that is the
indication that you have met the standards set by your
professional peers, some of whom are experts in their fields,
not just by former employers, satisfied customers, or happy
support people, who might not be aware of what those
standards are. Certification is all about having standards and
being able to identify those who meet those standards.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd. email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001 http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: Yvonne DeGraw <yvonne -at- SILCOM -dot- COM>, on
6/16/97 11:22 PM:
Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM> wrote:
> I would like to apply for a job with all the armaments
possible, my
>portfolio, my resume, my good looks, my powers of
persuasion. But especially
>important would be a certificate from my professional peers
testifying that
>have the skills they consider essential. That would be very
satisfying to me.

Funny. I'd prefer to show a document similar to what the
client needs with supporting raves from the client, users, and
customer support. It generally works for me...

OK, enough sarcasm. Has STC ever studied the idea of
accrediting TC programs? Perhaps that's a reasonable
compromise.
Yvonne DeGraw, Technical Services o Technical Writing
yvonne -at- silcom -dot- com o Online Help
http://www.silcom.com/~yvonne o Web Documentation
Tel: 805/683-5784 o Database Publishing
Chair, STC Region 8 Conference:
http://stc.org/region8/snb/reg8conf
Santa Barbara, CA Call for Presentations deadline is
June 30.

send a message to 2500+ readers, e-mail to
to LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU (e.g. HELP or
SIGNOFF TECHWR-L).
Search the archives at http://www.documentation.com/ or
search and browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at