Re: Not *really* doc management ...

Subject: Re: Not *really* doc management ...
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 21:12:53 +0600

On 16 Jun 97, Patty Ewy wrote:

> internal practices and processes. I need to know how businesses
> handle routine tasks like exchanging docs (not necessarily
> manuals-for-customers, but project plans, scope papers, and the
> like) so that who is making changes and when the changes are made is
> tracked. I think that (eventually) my task is going to be to come
> up with documentation of our systems, and then a method for storing
> and exchanging the vital bits--project plans, customer queries, etc.

Patty,

I'm not sure it's everything you're looking for, but you might find
JoAnn Hackos' book "Managing the Documentation Project" (or something
like that...it's published by Wylie in their Technical Communication
series). There are lots of tech writing books out there, but few
cover the details you mentioned. Probably it's because each
environment is so different that only the most general ideas are
helpful to all writers. To go out on a limb and say "...here's how to
manage tech writing in software environments for mid-sized companies"
would appeal to a very small market. But, gee, I wish someone would
do it!!!

Jane Bergen
Jane Bergen
janeber -at- cyberramp -dot- net