Electrons First, Paper Second

Subject: Electrons First, Paper Second
From: John Russell <jrussell -at- COMMSOFT -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:56:26 -0400

Hi folks,

My comapny is considering electronic/CD delivery as the primary means of distributing our documentation collection, and providing hard copy only as our customers request it. As I began working a mockup of the electronic format, I realized that going from (converting/reformatting) electronic to hard copy format was going to be difficult and costly.

I am familiar with "slapping it online," but this process usually refers to writing hard copy docs and slapping them into PDFs, or the like. That is, hard copy to electronic.

Has anyone out there written for electronic first and "slapped it on paper" afterwords? How did you do it? Would you recommend it to others? Was it worth it?

Any info or opinions will be a great help!

TIA!
K. John Russell
Technical Writer