Re: Eliminating the need for technical support

Subject: Re: Eliminating the need for technical support
From: "Friedman, Michael" <mhf -at- DSC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:04:38 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com [SMTP:bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 1997 11:52 AM
To: Friedman, Michael; Friedman -at- phoenix -dot- com; TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Great story, Michael!
I would have walked off the job. The first thing a professional must do is
take control of one's product and to refuse to produce junk.

___________________
True enough, Bill. But a professional must also make a living.
Bottom line, I needed the dough at the time.

Michael

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: "Friedman, Michael" <mhf -at- DSC -dot- COM>, on 6/19/97 11:34 AM:
__________

What an interesting thread. Most of what I'm reading is very well
reasoned.

My own 2 cents is this:

Many early pc manuals were written by software engineers who weren't
really writers and didn't have the time to do them properly in any
case. One of the big problems was that these early manuals were
weighed down by ponderous, passive sentences that made them hard to
read. I'm not sure, but I kind of suspect that this style is a
carry-over from the academic world, which generally looks down on
second-person writing as "common" or at least "non-scholarly."

It's taken the industry a while to understand that users don't give a
damn about how scholarly a manual sounds. What most users want isn't
fancy writing. In my opinion, the user wants a concise overview of the
subject, or a quick, clear answer to a specific question. The simpler
the language, the better.

It's too bad that there are still companies that aren't getting this.
As recently as a year ago, when I was working mostly on contract, I
worked a job where the writers were absolutely forbidden to use the
first or second person at any time. As a result, a simple sentence
like ... "We suggest you set your monitor to its highest resolution"
became the monstrosity ... "The vendor of this product recommends that
the user set his or her monitor to the highest resolution that he or
she can obtain." This is not a joke. It is a real edit the project
leader made to my text.

When my manuscript came back with the edits, there was a little
Post-It note on the cover. The note read: "We don't use 'we' and we
don't use 'you.'

Fortunately, it seems like we're starting to see less and less of
this. But I'd be interested to know how many folks have had similar
experiences in the past.

Michael

message
to 2500+ readers, e-mail to TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU -dot- Send
commands
browse the archives at
http://listserv.okstate.edu/archives/techwr-l.html
Send list questions or problems to the listowner at