Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support

Subject: Re: Eliminating Need for Technical Support
From: Dan BRINEGAR <vr2link -at- VR2LINK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 04:36:21 -0700

>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 08:34:45 -0400
>From: Matthew J Long <mjl100z -at- MAIL -dot- ODU -dot- EDU>
>Subject: Eliminating Need for Technical Support
>
>In terms of technical writing, I am just a little wet behind the ears
>(where does that stupid cliche come from anyhow?), so please forgive the
>following. It may contain naivity and idealism!

Nothing to forgive, Matthew, you have, thru naivete and idealism managed to
identify an issue we curmudgeons have lost sight of (thru our
dissillusionment and dogmatism).

[He said; with a sinking suspision there will be more written about
where-the-cliche-came-from than the very important question raised, but he
may have another think/thing coming <wink>]

Anyway, I've gathered up every comment on your question in tonight's
digest, added my own comments, and produced a completely unweildy 5000-word
novella on the subject.

I'm a little troubled by the fact that there's 13 maps in just the broad
outline...

How many times have I said recently that something's at the core of who we
are and what we do? Well, this time I mean it...[He said, remembering that
UFO-nut from Washington state a coupla years back...]

I'll keep working on it.

It'll be at <http://www.vr2link.com/ntnw.html> (surnames and email
addresses will be deleted from whatever gets up there for security's
sake)...

Eliminating Tech Support?
* Its' about the customers, Dummy
* The best documentation in the world will not help if the software
doesn't work
* Obvious to you, maybe _OR_ Fabien hits the nail on the head
* Why documentation has such a bad name
* Lousy design
* Elimination thru improvement, or collapse!
* Reaching a critical mass
* The professionals tackle the problem
* Now we all know this is rarely an option
* Why take the risk?
* Experienced, seasoned technical writers please speak up
* Two ways to "profit," and shooting yourself in the foot...
head... wherever
* "Educating" the support group