Managing skills

Subject: Managing skills
From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 15:22:43 EDT

Wayne Douglass wrote:

> If I were to advocate using sports team managers or coaches as role
> models, I would recommend Joe Paterno (English teacher), John Wooden
> (ditto), or Vince Lombardi (Latin teacher).

Interesting list, Wayne. If I had to pick a common denominator among
all three men, it's that they successfully emphasized the good of
the team over the good of any one individual. I don't recall who
first said "there's no 'I' in 'team,'" but I wouldn't be surprised
if it was one of those three.

I can't help noticing, though, that only one of them (Lombardi) ever
coached at the professional level, and that was thirty years ago.
Thus none of them had to deal with issues like wealthy superstars
demanding special treatment, long-term contracts, no-trade clauses,
and the like.

Technical communication managers might not have to deal with
"wealthy superstars" -- just garden-variety superstars like us --
but in today's business world they face challenges that go way
beyond the "no 'I' in 'team'" level.

The best managers I've known in technical communication have been:

Creative -- able to provide a fresh perspective when needed
Positive -- focused on solving problems, not assigning blame
Appreciative -- of a job well done and of the kind of work I do
Supportive -- willing to back me, and my team, when conflicts arise
Honest -- straightforward and ethical

What other attributes would the rest of y'all add?

(Note to fellow baseball fan Bill Sullivan: The Rangers' manager,
whose name you couldn't remember, is Johnny Oates -- who washed out
in Baltimore but who found the situation in Texas much better suited
to his style and abilities.)

Larry Kunz
STC Assistant to the President for Professional Development
ldkunz -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
http://www.networking.ibm.com/eNetwork