Localization and Color Question

Subject: Localization and Color Question
From: Monya Keane <mkeane -at- EMIBOSTON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 11:55:36 -0400

I hope this topic is not too far removed from the nuts and bolts of
technical communication, but I really need your help.

The marketing agency I work for has been awarded a contract to develop the
new website for the Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary, a world-renowned clinic.
Via the TECHWR-L archives, I've unearthed excellent information about
writing and designing for visually impaired readers, but I now have an
additional challenge. Our client has requested that we design the site
with wealthy Japanese and Middle Eastern prospective patients in mind.

My job is to identify whether there are any color schemes that are
particularly inappropriate to use when designing for either of these
audiences. I'm not looking for a way to avoid offending everyone on the
planet (I know that's impossible); I just need to reduce the risk of
committing a major Japanese or Middle Eastern cultural "no-no" in regard to
color and overall design. Does anyone have this information, or know
where I can research it on the Web? Thanks!

- Monya Keane, Technical Writer
EMI Strategic Marketing
One Appleton Street
Boston, MA 02116
Phone: +1 617 451-9451 x154 Fax: +1 617 451-1193
E-mail: mkeane -at- emiboston -dot- com