Re: Education and Productivity: Whats the Correlation?

Subject: Re: Education and Productivity: Whats the Correlation?
From: Eric Haddock <ehaddock -at- ENGAGENET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:45:21 -0500

>> The hyper-intelligent college dropouts (they are all over this industry!)
tend to approach problems in a less disciplined, non-linear fashion, thereby
making it more difficult to communicate.

No--it's just you. I don't think degrees have anything to do with it. It's
your unfamiliarity and/or unease of talking about things in a non-linear
fashion that's giving you trouble. I've written in offices that were 100%
creative and where I am now which is 100% technical and there have been linear
and non-linear folks in both. The creative office was more non-linear for sure
so I became accustomed to communicating that way. There was a wide variety of
degreed and non-degreed people in each office too. One person I dealt with,
highly creative and very good, didn't even graduate from high school if you can
believe that. Another person has a degree in the field for which he's now
working (somewhere anyway) but he's obviously incompetent. How he got his
degree is anyone's guess. Perhaps he does well on tests but not in the real
world? Who knows--he was fired.
Whether they had a degree in anything turned to be completely irrelevant at
every level as far as my interaction with them went. My boss now, the
super-chief of engineering at the company, has yet to get his degree but he
seemingly knows everything there is to know and is a good communicator. He's
very important to the company and manages degreed people.
For these people, degrees weren't relevant. They didn't indicate ability nor
did their absence indicate incompetence. Sure, they're exceptions I'm guessing
but perhaps they're exceptions that prove the rule?

Regards from beautiful Wisconsin! :)

Me --> http://www2.pitnet.net/moonlion mailto:moonlion -at- full-moon -dot- com
Work --> http://www.engagenet.com mailto:ehaddock -at- engagenet -dot- com