Re: What's important

Subject: Re: What's important
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 11:30:02 -0400

Feeling contentious today... ;)

<Disclaimer: I agree tech writers must have a firm
grasp of the language, which I understand is
your main point, Matt. This is more a rambling
story and a reminder that tech writers come
from a varied background than any kind of argument
with anything anyone said. Phew!>

Passing Grade 12 English with at least
a B is not always a good indicator -- my
average grade in high school English was a D.

Wasn't till I was an engineering major in a
rudimentary writing course with a great grad
student that I learned how to write -- she was
the first person I met who questioned
why being good at science/math meant I couldn't
write--a common assumption.

Something clicked and, much to my mother's horror, I
changed my major to writing. ;)

Been cranking away ever since, and loving every
minute of it. OK, well not *every* minute, but
close enough to be very happy. Several developers
here have asked me why I'm not a developer and
I tell them that tech writing is great for me because I
get to write *and* be a geek.
--
Alexia Prendergast
Senior Technical Writer