Re: Reluctant SMEs

Subject: Re: Reluctant SMEs
From: Kathryn Marshall <kmarsh -at- EARTHLINK -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 15:11:12 -0700

Hillary Jones wrote:
> On a constructive note, does anyone have suggestions for how to get the
> info you need from a reluctant SME? How do you overcome hurtles like
> being younger, being female, being not a programmer/engineer, being new
> to the company? I'm interested to hear how different people deal with
> these things.

Since I have fit all those criteria at one point or another (plus I'm a
minority), I thought I'd venture a response here. I've worked as a tech
writer for 3 different software companies -- all small, mom&pop type
deals where I've been the only tech writer. In most cases, the sense of
reluctancy from SMEs is (in my opinion) not knowing how to relate to us;
and lack of experience working with technical writers. Many of them
don't understand what exactly we do (or why - which I sometimes ask
myself); and I sometimes get the impression they think our work is
insignificant compared to "what THEY do". Or that could just be my ego.

Humor always helps. I like to joke with people and make them feel at
ease. Explain what you need to do. It always helps to do some research
before you approach them. For example, take a look at the product, read
marketing materials, old manuals, etc., and then prepare a list of
questions for the SME. This way you can impress them by showing them how
quickly you can pick things up and it shows initiative and dedication.

I guess it really depends on the person you're dealing with. I have
found that it helps to build a rapport with each engineer in my company.
You don't have to be their best friend, but every once in a while stop
by to say hello and take an interest in what they do. Ok, ok, butter 'em
up. The more at ease they feel, the more they'll be willing to volunteer
information, so you don't feel like you're pulling teeth all the time.

I think my disclaimer should be "Just my $.02".

Kathy Marshall