Re: Education and Productivity: What's the Correlation?

Subject: Re: Education and Productivity: What's the Correlation?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 12:07:02 -0400

>Meetings run smoother. It's easier to keep a PhD on-topic and >focused on the particular agenda for the meeting.

Well, sometimes. One of the many reasons that I'm an ex-academic is
that, in my experience, many academics become obsessive about detail.

By that, I don't mean that they _can_ focus closely--that's obviously a
benefit. Rather, I mean that they focus on details exclusively, and
don't know when it's time to move on. Give them a plan that has to be
acted on by tomorrow, and they'll spend half an hour commenting on the
positioning of commas (and not just English Phds, either).

I like nitpicking as much as anyone, but the lack of academic
perspective can be infuriating.
--
Bruce Byfield (bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com)
Technical Writer / Job Bank Team, STC Canada West Coast Chapter

"Give me your hand then, love, & join your voice with mine,
We'll sing of the hurt and the pain,
And the joy of living."
--Ewan McColl