Summary -- Would you hire

Subject: Summary -- Would you hire
From: Chris Hamilton <chamilton -at- GR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:45:32 -0500

A couple of days ago, I posted a query about whether I'd hurt my
credibility as a technical writer if I spent some time cashing in on teh
Y2K problem. I didn't keep track of who responded to me and who
responded to the list, but at least some replied to me, so I figured I'd
post a summary.

Without exception, everyone who responded said that I should go for the
money. (A couple were qualified yesses.) Everyone thought it would be
great to have a writer with strong technical skills (please remember me
if I'm ever in need of a job; I have these skills already). A few
implied that they'd be more skeptical of me if I didn't take the job.
(In case your curious, if I don't take the job, it's because I'm in a
really good situation here and I've got a strong technical background
already. And because I'm not a former programmer by accident. Writing
suits my termperament a lot better. If I do take it, it's solely for the
money.)

In case you're interested in hitting the COBOL jackpot, you should be
ready for boring work, lots of overtime, and lots of pressure. And lots
of money.

Thanks for the responses.

Chris

--
Chris Hamilton, Technical Writer
Greenbrier & Russel

"Please do not try to confuse the issues with facts!"
-- George Banks, "Mary Poppins"