Re: Hexadecimal Numbers

Subject: Re: Hexadecimal Numbers
From: Bill DuBay <bill_dubay -at- PHOENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 11:26:36 PDT

Here at Phoenix, the engineers mainly use the 20h format, which is what I use
in the customer docs. Some times they use the
0x20 format. Decimal takes no format sign.

Bill DuBay
Technical Writer
Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
email: bill_dubay -at- phoenix -dot- com
(714)790-2049 FAX: (714)790-2001
http://www.phoenix.com
-------------
Original Text
From: James Lockard <jamesl -at- DMTI -dot- COM>, on 6/25/97 11:05 AM:
Hello tech. writers,

I'm trying to document a small program that generates return values that
include decimal numbers, hexadecimal numbers, and mixed decimal and
hexadecimal numbers. I've done a little research on my own to determine
what the most common convention is for representing hexadecimal numbers,
but the three computer dictionaries I consulted each list about four
options without recommending any.

Some of the options I found include
decimal 32 = hexadecimal 20
decimal 32 = 0x20
decimal 32 = 20h
decimal 32 = 20H
decimal 32 = $20
decimal 32 = &20
decimal 32 = X'20'
decimal 32 = 20 (base 16)
decimal 32 = 20 (hex)

Is there a standard technique for representing hex numbers? If not, what
techniques or guidelines have you followed in the past? Also, do you
treat hexadecimal numbers differently in different contexts? That is,
would you use a different technique with in a paragraph of explanation
than you would in a number table or code sample?
TIA,
James Lockard

Office Address jamesl -at- dmti -dot- com
Home Address norton -at- mcs -dot- net
WWW Address http://www.mcs.net/~norton/