Re: Docs. Web Pages, and HTML

Subject: Re: Docs. Web Pages, and HTML
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 15:29:38 -0700

At 02:50 PM 6/26/97 MST, Kevin Feeman wrote:
> Well, here is the conundrum. I want to put all of the files out on
> the web, with links and such, and not just the main text file.
> However, Netscape does not handle the FrameMaker book feature, so that
> pretty much destroys option 1. I don't know quadralay webworks
> publisher enough to know if it will handle the FrameMaker book
> feature, but my main guess is now. Would Acrobat Exchange choke on
> the book feature as well? Option 2 and 3 are now gone.
>
> Each of these methods seem like an exercise in futility since I would
> like to put the cover page, TOC, etc. out on the Web page.
>
> I was given the suggestion of putting the TOC into a HTML file and
> creating links to the document. That wouldn't work because remember
> that all sections are in one text file and you would have all links
> pointing to one file.

Webworks handles a Frame book file very well. We convert all our manuals for
viewing on the media and Webworks gives the cover page, TOC, chapters and
appendixes, index -- all hyperlinked to the appropriate sections
automatically. Webworks requires considerable setup time to specify exactly
how you want all the links, navigation buttons, etc. to work, but once
you've figured it out it converts with hardly a belch. Not cheap, not easy
to use, but very reliable and suitable for converting large books or sets of
books. We are happy campers.

--Wayne