Re: Telecommuting

Subject: Re: Telecommuting
From: "Cramer, Kim" <kcramer -at- NCSLINK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 07:14:00 -0700

Melanie Nelson asked about telecommuting.

In our department, almost everyone telecommutes one or two days a week.
Many of us have fairly long commutes (40-60 minutes each way), so we
have more time to do real work if we're not commuting (and more time for
the rest of our lives). We measure productivity in one simple way: Is
the work getting done on schedule? If so, no problem! (This is the
case for the most part around here.)

If not, our pubs leader would work with the person to review their pubs
plans for accuracy and help them develop better estimating if necessary.
If their estimates are solid, but the person still can't get things
done in the appropriate time frame, I'm sure their telecommuting would
be put on hold.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can go back to telecommuting a few
days a week. I've been in computer upgrade hell for a while now with my
home computer - I upgraded the processor, discovered I needed faster
RAM, upgraded my RAM, discovered I needed a faster motherboard, upgraded
my motherboard (as we speak), and am hoping I don't need to purchase
anything else! With any luck, we'll get the new desk built at home and
get the computer set up in the next few weeks, and I'll be ready to
rock!! And happily working at home twice a week!