Navigation in pdf

Subject: Navigation in pdf
From: Michel Vallee <valleem -at- CAM -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 1997 18:16:49 -0400

I'm trying to establish if Adobe Acrobat can really be a solution in the
online vs. paper issue, at least for my company's needs. Presently we
distribute a large set of documents both in html (online) and pdf
(printable) formats. It would be nice to have only one document that meets
all needs. IMO, right now HTML does not qualify on either side: still
lacking basic feature like popups, contents and index (these should come
with html-help, but when?), and, well, not really printable.
Acrobat is ok for printing. But when it comes to really assess its
potentialities on-screen, there's one thing I can't get straight: the
navigation feature(s), namely the Find and Search features. I seem to
understand that the Find feature is limited to the current document, which
is not what I need, and the Search feature covers a collection of
documents. But it seems so complicated! There are no less than 4 options
under Search, and I read somewhere in the help files that searching is a
4-step process! How can you as a technical writer conceivably hope users
will put up with it when you can't use it yourself?
Is it me?
Can someone fill me up on this?
Thank you

Michel Vallee