Re[4]: Understanding v. instruction

Subject: Re[4]: Understanding v. instruction
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 12:04:55 -0500

With a little imagination, anything at all can be used for just about
anything at all. We're talking about what, in general of course, the
product is designed for -- its "intended use." To talk about what
someone *might* do with a product aside from that (or something
close) is basically irrelevant to the discussion. Someone might do
anything.

Actually, Jeff, that was exactly the point I was making. The fact that
people are so darned inventive refutes the idea that the information
provided by the company is more important than the product.

You can't possibly document all the uses someone might put your product to.
This simple fact can be used to support the notion that the existence of
the product is more important than the existence of the documentation. The
fact this may depend upon a small minority of potential users shows that
even if one granted this argument to be true (and it's definitely
debatable) it makes the product only *slightly* more important. (BTW, the
alternate use of a bandsaw blade I described is quite common. Check your
local HW store for the selection of bow saw blades and you'll see why.
While it may have as many as 7 or 8 different bow saws, it's a very rare
store that has more than two different blades.)

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224