Re: Clarification on Equip Rental Issue

Subject: Re: Clarification on Equip Rental Issue
From: Virginia Day <Virginia_Day -at- DATACARD -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:29:52 -0500

Hi,
Sounds to me as tho' the client bean counters and the consulting firm
have a close working relationship.

Your friend can develop a fixed-price offer that takes into account
her rate and estimate for the work (given her realistic expectation
for delivery on content, etc.), *and* the costs that the bean counters
want to charge her, based on a worst-case scenario. For example, if
the project is planned for six months, perhaps the risk is that it
could last 10 months. She should refuse to accept the idea that the
risk over time (for equipment etc. rental charges) is her risk,
because she cannot control or manage the contributing factors. Paying
her an hourly rate is actually most reasonable. I think she needs to
be willing to play hard ball, since the bean counters have started
that game. She will need to explain this approach to her immediate
manager before responding to the bean counters, emphasizing the risk
that is being offered to her, which she cannot bear on her own. (I'd
guess that the manager who wants her will try to intervene at this
point.)

For fixed price, she should make it clear that she will be on site
only when there is work to do. She must have freedom to look for and
do other work. (If they are willing to pay all her time (hourly) until
the project is done, she only needs time to look for other work.)

To cover herself, she needs another customer waiting in the wings,
even if it is not "solid". For example, not being able to make a
meeting because she must discuss work with another firm can
considerably strengthen her position. And, she might need the
work--to fill in or to replace the client.

Best wishes to your friend.

Regards, Virginia

Subject: Clarification on Equip Rental Issue
Author: Joe Sokohl <jsokohl -at- CAMPBELLSOFT -dot- COM> at Internet
Date: 6/30/97 12:30 PM

Hi all,
To clarify my obtuse writing: my friend quit working for the
consulting firm on Friday so she could begin her business as an
independent. Her client is the same firm that her consulting firm had
a contract with. In essence, her client project leader wanted her to
do the work (HTML Help, Winhelp, cool stuff), not just another body
from the consulting firm.

So, consulting firm waived their "do not hire/contract" agreement with
the client (usually, the consulting firm has an agreement with its
clients that the client won't try to hire or side-contract with the
consulting firm's employees). The problem child in this picture is the
client's bean counters.

My friend's in the midst of setting up the contract between her & her
client.

On another note: The client wants fixed bid, she wants time/materials
bid. Thoughts/ammunition? Also, wasn't there an STC Intercom article
about this?

Muchas gracias, mis amigos!

joe
Joe Sokohl
Manager of Documentation
Campbell Software, Inc.
http://www.campbellsoft.com

The opinions expressed in this mail are mine.
They don't necessarily represent Campbell Software or any of its
affiliates.