Organising documents

Subject: Organising documents
From: Charlotte Hybschmann Jacobsen <chjac -at- AMROSE -dot- SPO -dot- DK>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 12:55:53 +0200

Hi everybody.
I am new to the list, and I have listened in for a couple of days. I am
also new to the entire "computer world" - I have made a carreer (? - sorry
for my language, I am a Dane!) shift and am at the edge of starting to
write technical documentation.

My idea for my new job is to organise all the company documents in a
central database of a sort. In that database I will store
- graphic (made in CorelDraw, Microstation (a CAD-program), or
other)
- Word documents
- perhaps FrameMaker documents (I haven't decided if I am going to
recommend FrameMaker to the company, but it seems to me as a good
program?)
- perhaps RoboHelp documents
- PDF files
- HTML files
- video shots or links/references to videos
-
-

The entries in the database should be tagged in a way as to enable me to
drag out specific information for specific use. For example, I would say:
"show me what we have for a sales presentation"
Then the database would produce links to such kind of documents, and I
should then be able to choose and make a nice collection and
representation of textual and graphical documents.

The same shold be true
for technical documentation for internal use (i.e. descriptions of
programs for the use of other programmers inside the company), user
manuals, scientific publications,...

Everybody in the company (approx. 20 persons) should be able to use (i.e.
both put documents into and drag them out of) the
database from their own computer (both unix and NT, but we are in the
process of converting averything to WindowsNT). We do have an
intranet. We already have MS Office licenses to everybody and will
therefore not buy another word-processing system for everybody.

So, if anybody has put up such a system or something like it, read about
it, heard about it, seen it, has an internet address, ... , I would be
very interested to hear about it.

Charlotte Jacobsen, Denmark