Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice

Subject: Re: FWD: Students, STC, and Student Chapter--Need Advice
From: Jill Burgchardt <jburgcha -at- PESTILENCE -dot- FTC -dot- NRCS -dot- USDA -dot- GOV>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 1997 11:48:42 -0600

Hi,
I know I've gotten set in my ways some times, so that my initial reaction to a new idea
hasn't been to jump for joy and embrace it, But two days later, when I've had a chance
to mull it over, I may change my mind. The members of the STC chapter in question
may simply need the opportunity to think over the suggestions presented. If the
students went to another meeting, maybe the members would come up and say "You
know, I've been thinking . . ." At least give them that chance, we're all only human.

We had a situation with an organization I do volunteer work for. After months of
planning and negotiating contracts for a facility, scheduling judges, etc. things were
set for an event. Two weeks prior to the event, someone who would have been
welcome to attend for the preceding 10 months showed up at a meeting. He wanted
the event schedule changed by several hours for his convenience. It would have been
nearly impossible and extremely costly to change plans at that late date. After the
event, an evaluation was turned in, criticizing the committee and claiming people
were hard to work with. Based on comments, we're pretty sure who submitted the
evaluation, although it was anonymous.

I'm not saying the student's situation is analogous to the situation just described. But
I'm not ready to judge the STC Chapter without hearing both sides of the story.

Jill Burgchardt
(who is not a member of STC, because Denver is 70 miles away)
(And if those students want to start a chapter in Ft. Collins, I rescind my comments
provided they let non-students join)