Re: job angst

Subject: Re: job angst
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 23:14:19 -0800

On Thu, 3 Jul 1997 11:55:25 -0400, Dianne Walsh wrote:

>Here's the problem: I've been offered a job with a small but dynamic, highly creative communications design firm. It's everything I could ask for in a job including a desk by the windows ;-), but this company, being small and new, offers next-to-nothing in benefits.
[snip]
>My present job, on the other had, offers reasonably good benefits, BUT--It's beome a chore to drag myself into the place every morning and face the same old, same old. Not only has the work gotten boring, but the place is under such chaotic management (or lack of management) that I fear for its survival.

Okay, let's see...

One job offers benefits (at least for as long as the company survives)
and no excitement. Excitement level is not something that's likely to
change.

The other offers job satisfaction, challenges, and a great work
environment, but no real benefits -- yet. Benefits ARE likely to come
as the company grows.

Hmm. Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Age notwithstanding, how much do you REALLY need the benefits right
now? How often are medical/dental benefits called on? If the job's as
intriguing as you make it sound, lack of vacation time isn't a problem
- sounds like you'd be having as much fun at work as you would lying on
a beach somewhere.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<insert standard disclaimer here>