Re: job angst

Subject: Re: job angst
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 19:02:13 GMT

You've already gotten some great advice, so I won't repeat it other
than to say I'm with the group that says exercise caution.

As a small business owner, I think the lack of sick days and only one
week of paid vacation is a little weak. They should be billing enough
per hour to cover about five sick days and two weeks vacation. If
you're brave about money, you might ask them to give you some insight
into their overhead and profitability. Even if they won't give you the
numbers (I probably wouldn't), their answers might be revealing.

Don't get too sucked into the "every hour is billable" mentality - it
can be a real killer. You've got to have it to stay in business, but
you also have to remember that having a life outside of work (not to
mention sleep) will help you produce better work in less time and make
you a happier person.

50-something makes it more difficult in case it doesn't work out. Even
though there's not supposed to be age discrimination, we all know it's
out there. Flip side is that another employer might take your
willingness to take a risk as a positive.

Best of luck to you -

Barb
Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing