Percent

Subject: Percent
From: Laura Grosvenor <laurag -at- ARLUT -dot- UTEXAS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 10:33:53 -0500

The Gregg Reference Manual adds this note after the "spell out
the word 'percent'" instruction:

"The % symbol may be used in tables, on business forms, and
in statistical or technical matter."

On 8 Jul 1997, Diane Williams asked:

>My question is about using the % symbol vs. spelling out "percent" in a
>report to Congress from the US Army about the efficiency of a computer
>program. I'd prefer to use the % symbol because it appears so many times
>in some paragraphs when referring to the accuracy of the information
>produced by the program.

That report could easily be classified as statistical or technical,
so by the Gregg guideline the % symbol would be appropriate.

Laura Grosvenor
laurag -at- arlut -dot- utexas -dot- edu
Information Technology Group
Applied Research Laboratories
The University of Texas at Austin