Information Mapping

Subject: Information Mapping
From: Kari Alt <kdalt -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 14:53:05 -0600

I searched the archives concerning everyone's thoughts on Information
Mapping and found a lot of interesting comments. However, I did not
find quite what I was looking for so I decided to post.

Our Technical Communications department is looking into the possibility
of using a few of the features from the Information Mapping format. The
main issue we cannot agree on is the use of the lines separating each
section. Some of the arguments are as follows:

Include Lines:
The lines help to visually break up the sections and let the reader know
where the previous section ends and the next section begins.

Do Not Include Lines:
The lines make the page look too busy (cluttered). We can use white
space just as effectively to show a break in sections. The title
(heading) to the left of the section will also imply the start of a new
section.

Do the lines help or hinder the reader in terms of document design and
format? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please respond to me
off-line.

Thank You,
Kari Alt
Technical Communications
kdalt -at- micron -dot- com

Disclaimer: Speaking for myself, not Micron