Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: John Glenn <sfarmh1 -at- SCFN -dot- THPL -dot- LIB -dot- FL -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 18:02:34 -0400

Some places (less in the US than across the Pond) pay by
degree. Some government agencies (again, my experience was
''over there'') that handle professional employment refuse
to work with non-degree holders even if the person has
substantial experience in the field. A geology BS made more
as a TW than this scrivener simply because he had the
degree.
Universities in the US - vs. ''over there'' - won't
entertain resumes for professional positions from
non-degreed people, even those with a wealth of experience.
(They MIGHT contract, but never employ.) I flacked for a
university outside the Several States.
As to US U's writing programs: the school I attended (by an
large a good operation) had a HS English teacher instructing
the after dark English class. He was to teach us pr and
resume writing. He knew zip about both -- I agreed not to
argue with him (my experience vs. his ignorace) and to drop
out if he would just give me a grade. (He did: 4.0) When I
ran a newspaper (pre-TW), I had three U grads ... one
English major who could write and two j-grads who were hard
pressed to write their own name.

IMO, writing (any variety) is an art. Schools (all levels)
can teach technique and may enhance a writer's skills, but
cannot teach ''writing.'' (Problem is, it seems that
some universities -- the one my #1 son attends -- don't
even require basic grammar ! )

Hears for gooder gramer and bedder speling, two. (cq)

john glenn <sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us>
mailto:sfarmh1 -at- scfn -dot- thpl -dot- lib -dot- fl -dot- us