Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Mike Keene <mkeene -at- UTKUX -dot- UTCC -dot- UTK -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:29:11 -0400

Howdy folks,

As maybe this discussion shows, "do you need a degree" is a complicated
question, and I want to complicate it some more. How about "what kind of
degree might help you?" for example? There are wonderful programs that
lead to associate's degrees, to undergraduate certificates, and to
minors--these often allow students to focus very narrowly on only the
courses most relevant to a particular career. (And it isn't a sound
assumption to make that just because the course is at a "junior" college
it's too basic to be useful; some two-year institutions offer very
sophisticated and challenging courses.) There are also BA degrees as part
of a traditional English major, BA degrees in freestanding writing
program, BS degrees (often requiring substantial technical electives), MA
degrees, MS degrees, graduate-level certificate programs, and at least 12
schools offering PhDs (at least 7 of which are very specialized).

So we can't come up with _the best_ answer to "do you need a degree"
unless we talk a little while about "what kind of degree (or just
coursework) might be best?" Especially in an era when more and more
employers are assuming that employees have to take all the responsibility
for professional development on themselves, it's useful to remember that
there are lots and lots of different kinds of courses and different kinds
of programs to choose among. While programs like the one I'm part of--a
fairly basic minor or option within a traditional English major--may still
be in the majority and may not be particularly suitable for people who are
already good writers and who know the field, there are lots and lots of
other kinds _and levels_ of programs out there today.

Mike

Mike Keene
mkeene -at- utk -dot- edu

Office Phone: 423-974-6969