Re: Do you need a degree?

Subject: Re: Do you need a degree?
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:40:12 -0700

At 09:29 AM 7/10/97 -0400, Mike Keene wrote:

>So we can't come up with _the best_ answer to "do you need a degree"
>unless we talk a little while about "what kind of degree (or just
>coursework) might be best?" Especially in an era when more and more
>employers are assuming that employees have to take all the responsibility
>for professional development on themselves, it's useful to remember that
>there are lots and lots of different kinds of courses and different kinds
>of programs to choose among. While programs like the one I'm part of--a
>fairly basic minor or option within a traditional English major--may still
>be in the majority and may not be particularly suitable for people who are
>already good writers and who know the field, there are lots and lots of
>other kinds _and levels_ of programs out there today.

Mike's right. Major, minor, who cares? - as long as you get the *education*
you are looking for. I remember a classmate when I was in journalism school
back in the 60s who took as many science classes as he could handle because
he was interested in ecology. He was ahead of his time. I, myself, veered
toward the literary side and graduated with more credits in my ostensible
"minor" (English) than in journalism.

--Wayne